OAKLAND (KRON) — The Oakland A’s have rejected the latest offer to sign a 10-year contract to stay in the Coliseum.
“The A’s received the Oakland-Alameda County Authority’s proposal earlier this afternoon,” team spokesman Bob Rose said in a written statement Tuesday. “While the proposal was for 10 years, it did not address all of our issues. Consequently, we cannot accept the terms of the offer. We have tried to negotiate in good faith for the past several months. As the Authority knows, it is still our preference not to negotiate this agreement through the media.”
The response came just hours after the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority had released details of the proposed lease to the public. The authority says it is committed to continuing to upgrade the facility, which has drawn sharp criticism from fans, players, and officials because of sewage backups and other infrastructure issues.
Coliseum officials say they have re-painted the facility, added new concessions, boosted security, and improved the ring road surrounding it in time for Opening Day this year. They say they have also remodeled the dugouts, upgraded lockers, and modernized the press box.
“A ten year extension, lasting through the 2024 season, gives the team a place to a call home and our fans and sponsors a window to continue investing their time and passion in this team. We are also working to ensure this deal safeguards county and city taxpayers. We are meeting the A’s management where they say they want to be and hope to conclude these negotiations quickly,” Coliseum Authority Chairman and Alameda County Supervisor Nate Miley said, also in a written statement.
The A’s have rejected other sites in Oakland and have openly sought to move to Santa Clara County. The City of San Jose has sued Major League Baseball for blocking that move into territory belonging to the San Francisco Giants.
Mobile App users click here to view the video
(Copyright 2014, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)