7-11 Clerk Spots Fire at Berkeley Business

BERKELEY (KRON) — An alert 7-11 clerk is getting the credit for raising an early alert of a fire at a denim clothing store in Berkeley.

Firefighters say they were able to prevent flames from spreading from the window of the store on College Avenue at Stuart Street.

“We had to force entry into the building because we didn’t have updated keys in our KNOX-Box, so we actually had to break locks and doors, etc.” Asst. Berkeley Fire Chief Donna McCracken tells KRON 4’s Terisa Estacio. “The fire was reported by the 7-11 clerk across the street when he went to take a break and saw flames coming out of the window sill. He was right. When we got on scene there was smoke in the business but the fire was actually concentrated in the window and wall assembly of this front window.”

There are no reports of injuries. Firefighters say it appears the fire was caused by heat from an electrical fixture that got too close to the building materials.

(Copyright 2014, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s