SAO PAULO (AP) — Brazilian officials say rescue workers have recovered the body of a 25-year-old man crushed beneath tons of concrete and steel of an unfinished overpass that collapsed in the World Cup host city of Belo Horizonte.
A City Hall press officer says that rescuers recovered the body early Friday, hours after the small car was flattened by the collapse. No one else was in the car.
He says the final death toll is two. Officials say they had already assumed at least one person had died in the car. Twenty-two people suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
The press officer spoke on condition of anonymity, citing internal regulations.
The collapse has been an embarrassment for the country, which has been basking in praise for what has mostly been a smoothly running soccer tournament.
(Copyright 2014, The Associated Press, All rights reserved.)