Be Smart Before You Return Those Christmas Gifts

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — Thursday brought the joy of Christmas as people exchanged gifts with friends and family members but Friday will bring another kind of exchange, the returns of many of those gifts.

The National Retail Federation says more than 60% of all gift receivers keep what they got but for the other 40%, most return an average of four gifts each.

Economists say many of the larger retailers are adopting a more generous return policy, in part to compete with online retailers. Some stores like Sears even offer curbside returns so folks don’t even have to get out of their cars.

The retail federation says here are a few tips for making the return process smoother.

  • Don’t Rip The Boxes — Open your gifts carefully. Many retailers require intact boxes to exchange for cash or store credit.
  • Give Receipts Along with your Gifts. Not all stores require receipts to make an exchange but having proof of purchase can certainly make things go smoother.
  • Make Sure You Keep Track Of Where You Buy. Also note some stores require “restocking” fees to make an exchange.
  • Keep Track of the Online Return Policy. Don’t be surprised if you’re asked to pay for shipping to return purchases made on the Internet. Many web sites make easy returns part of their marketing but others do not.

Shopping centers and malls will be packed with cars on Friday so keep an eye on KRON 4, the KRON 4 Mobile App, and the KRON4.com traffic page for real-time conditions.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s