3rd Child Dies After Carbon Monoxide Leak In Ohio Home

TROY, Ohio (AP) — A third child has died after being found in an Ohio home where there were high levels of carbon monoxide.

The Dayton Daily News says 13-year-old Jakia Jones died Sunday.

Her cousins 14-year-old Dionanna Bishop and 13-year-old Dejah Bishop died Friday after a relative found them unconscious inside a home in Troy. Her 8-year-old brother, Jahari Jones, is in critical condition.

Police say a furnace caused the leak of carbon monoxide, an odorless and colorless gas created when some fuels are burned. The relative reported to police the children had been sick for days. The children lived with their grandmother, who was hospitalized with pneumonia Friday.

An attorney for a couple who own the home says they weren’t aware of furnace problems and didn’t know children lived there.

Reduce Your Risk Of Exposure

Here’s a list of precautions provided by the Environmental Protection Agency:

  • Keep gas appliances properly adjusted.
  • Consider purchasing a vented space heater when replacing an unvented one.
  • Use proper fuel in kerosene space heaters.
  • Install and use an exhaust fan vented to outdoors over gas stoves.
  • Open flues when fireplaces are in use.
  • Choose properly sized wood stoves that are certified to meet EPA emission standards. Make certain that doors on all wood stoves fit tightly.
  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune-up central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually. Repair any leaks promptly.
  • Do not idle the car inside garage.
  • Never use a generator inside homes, garages, crawlspaces, sheds, or similar areas.

Find more information about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to prevent more indoor air quality issues at the EPA’s Indoor Air Quality information page.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s