Request to revoke parole for serial rapist denied

SAN JOSE (BCN) — A Santa Clara County Superior Court judge on Monday denied a request from the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office to revoke the conditional release of a serial rapist.

Christopher Evans Hubbart, 64, has been convicted of dozens of rapes in Southern California in the 1970s and San Francisco and Sunnyvale in the 1980s.

In February, Los Angeles County prosecutors had petitioned to revoke Hubbart’s conditional release that he is serving in a small Lake Los Angeles home in northeast Los Angeles County and have him sent back to a state mental hospital.

He had been at a state hospital since 1996 before he was moved to the Lake Los Angeles home last July, with a secured perimeter linked to his GPS device and security guards working in shifts inside the home 24 hours a day.

The petition was based on two instances last September and in January when Hubbart allowed his GPS ankle bracelet used to track his movements to run out of battery.

He testified in court before Judge Richard Loftus late last month that he received instructions on how to use the GPS ankle bracelet from his regional coordinator at Liberty Healthcare Corp., the organization contracted with the state to oversee him.

Hubbart also said that he was informed his conditional release would be at risk if he violated the terms of his release.

If the bracelet vibrated, Hubbart said that meant he must charge the device immediately and he did plug the battery charger in for about an hour at a time.

He claimed that in both instances he didn’t feel the device, possibly, he said, because he was wearing work boots while doing some landscaping outside of his home.

His regional coordinator also testified that some of his clients have had problems in the past with the device.

Hubbart, who spent two terms in prison for forcible rape, forcible sodomy, sexual assault on a minor under 14, burglary and false imprisonment, has admitted to more than 100 rapes and had more than 50 known female victims in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, San Francisco and Santa Clara counties, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

He often stalked his victims alone at night, entering their residences and raping them after putting a pillowcase over their heads, according to the department.

In his decision issued Monday, Loftus wrote that the evidence presented last month did not find Hubbart to be “a danger to the health and safety of others.”

Officials with the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said today that they will continue to make recommendations and monitor Hubbart through his community safety team.

Hubbart’s lawyer, Santa Clara County Public Defender Christopher Yuen, could not immediately be reached for comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s