SAN JOSE (KRON) — Two children are still in the hospital after suffering serious burns in a two-alarm fire at an apartment building in San Jose Thursday morning, and a GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family.
Ten-year-old Julio Gomez has burns on more than 55 percent of his body and will need to go under the knife for at least 10 surgeries to help him heal. His sister, Abigail, suffered serious lung damage because of smoke inhalation and, on top of all that. the family is now homeless.
It’s a rough time for the Gomez family. The fire that put the kids in the hospital broke out around 8 a.m. The children were trapped in their apartment on the 1900 block of Story Road. They were rescued by neighbors who broke the windows with their bare hands to get them out. They were pulled to safety but the damage was already done.
Julio had his first surgery on Friday afternoon and is being cared for at the Valley Medical center on Bascom Avenue. A GoFundMe account has been set up to help the family get back on their feet.