LOS ANGELES (KRON) — Los Angeles police are on the hunt for a suspect who opened fire on a woman who was walking with her boyfriend on a Hollywood street Sunday night.
The shooting happened after 10 p.m. on a residential street just off Sunset Boulevard about a block away from the popular intersection at Sunset and Highland Avenue.
“At this time it appears to be a random act of violence and there’s no known motive for what happened,” Detective John Skaggs said.
The victim was identified Monday afternoon as Carrie Jean Melvin, 30, according to Lt. John Radtke with LAPD’s West Bureau Homicide.
According to officials, the suspect walked up to the couple and fired a round from a shotgun to the back of the victim’s head. The gunman then fled in a black four-door sedan.
The suspect is described as a man in his 30s.
The boyfriend, who was not injured, has been cooperating with investigators and is not custody, Radtke said.
The incident bears disturbing similarities to the fatal shooting that happened last Wednesday on San Francisco’s Embarcadero..
Kathryn Steinle, 32, of San Francisco, was walking along the dock at Pier 14 around 6:30 p.m. with her father and a family friend. Her father had his arm around her the moment the gunman opened fire.
On Monday, Sanchez admitted in a jailhouse interview that he shot Steinle, but he says the shooting was an accident. Officials say that the suspect and the victim did not previously know each other.
As with the Hollywood incident, there was no communication between the suspect in the San Francisco shooting and the victim.