Yosemite (KRON) 4 million human visitors a year and up to 500 black bears co-exist in Yosemite National Park. But sometimes that’s tense relationship. If you are taking a summer trip to one of the most beautiful places on Earth you should watch this video from Yosemite bear experts. Bears spend a majority of their lives searching for food and you need to know a few facts about the bears.
From Yosemite National Park:
- Color: Most are not black but brown or even blond or reddish brown
- Weight: Average adult male is 300 to 350 pounds and female is 200 to 250 pounds
- Diet: Mostly grasses and berries, with acorns as a favored foodin the fall
- Hibernation: Reduced body temperature, pulse rate, and respiration conserve energy
- Reproduction: Females give birth while in hibernation to a litter of one to three cubs
- Young: Cubs remain with their mother until about 16 to 17 months of age