Pier 14 shooting: suspect to stand trial for murder

Juan Francisco Lopez Sanchez, Jeff Adachi, Diana Garciaor
FILE - In this July 7, 2015 file photo, Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, right, is lead into the courtroom by San Francisco Public Defender Jeff Adachi, left, and Assistant District Attorney Diana Garciaor, center, for his arraignment at the Hall of Justice in San Francisco. The parents of Kathryn Steinle filed a wrongful death claim Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2015 alleging that the San Francisco Sheriff's Department is to blame for releasing an illegal immigrant from jail despite a federal "detainer" request to keep in custody for possible deportation proceedings. A claim is usually a precursor to a lawsuit. (Michael Macor/San Francisco Chronicle via AP, Pool, File)

SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – A judge ruled Friday morning that a man at the center of the national immigration debate will stand trial on a murder charge in the shooting of a young San Francisco woman.

Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, 45, is charged with first-degree murder in the random shooting death of Kate Steinle, 32, on July 1. Steinle was shot in the back as she walked with her father along the waterfront.

JudgeBrendan Conroy said he heard enough evidence over a preliminary hearing to order the jury trial.

Lopez-Sanchez acknowledged shooting Steinle but said the gun fired accidentally.  kathryn-steinlew

The shooting triggered a national debate over immigration after it was revealed that the Sheriff’s Department had released Lopez-Sanchez despite a federal request to detain him for possible deportation.

Lopez-Sanchez was previously deported five times to his native Mexico.

Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has repeatedly mentioned the killing of Steinle as he calls for a border wall and mass deportations to curb illegal immigration. California Sen. Dianne Feinstein and presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton, both Democrats, said Lopez-Sanchez should have been detained.

San Francisco Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi said he was following city law when jailers released Lopez-Sanchez after a 20-year-old marijuana possession charge was dropped. The sheriff said his department requires federal officials to obtain a warrant or some other judicial notice in order for his jail to hold an inmate facing possible deportation.

San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee also criticized the sheriff, saying Mirkarimi should have notified immigration officials of Lopez-Sanchez’s impending release.

Lopez-Sanchez has pleaded not guilty in the killing of Steinle.

Her parents have said federal and local authorities contributed to the death through negligence and bureaucratic bungling.

The family alleges in legal claims that a Bureau of Land Management ranger left his loaded service weapon in a backpack in plain view in his car before the gun was stolen in June. The semi-automatic pistol was later used in the killing of Steinle.

BLM spokeswoman Martha Maciel said the agency is cooperating with the investigation of the shooting but she declined further comment.

The Steinle family and their attorneys filed three separate legal claims seeking unspecified damages from the BLM, San Francisco Sheriff’s Department and U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Such claims must be filed before government agencies can be sued

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s