UPDATE 9:30 P.M.: Power has been restored at a long-term care facility in Burlingame that suffered an outage after a small fire this morning and patients are being moved back in, a San Mateo County Health System spokeswoman said Friday evening.
UPDATE: A major effort is underway to move patients out of a long-term care facility in Burlingame that lost power after a small fire Friday morning, according to San Mateo County Health System officials.
Robyn Thaw, spokeswoman for the San Mateo County Health System, said the fire began in a kitchen.
The fire was extinguished and patients are safe, but it’s expected the power will not be restored for at least several more hours, Thaw said.
Fire officials said the outage could displace as many as 269 patients.
Patients will be relocated to San Mateo Medical Center and other facilities until the power is fully restored, Thaw said.
“The Health System’s top priority right now is preparing San Mateo Medical Center and additional facilities to receive residents,” said Louise Rogers, chief of San Mateo County Health System. “We are doing everything we can to ensure a safe and comfortable stay for each resident.”
Eight SamTrans vehicles were committed to assist in the transfer, an official from the public transit agency said.
BURLINGAME (KRON) — A power outage caused by an electrical fire Friday morning at a long-term care facility in Burlingame may displace as many as 269 patients, according to San Mateo County’s Central County Fire Department.
Fire Chief John Kammeyer said the department received a call at 9:31 a.m. about a malfunctioning electrical box triggering a fire at Burlingame Long Term Care at 1100 Trousdale Dr.
Though the fire was small, Kammayer said it caused a power outage. While officials are working to restore power at the facility, Kammayer said 269 patients might need to be relocated.
He wasn’t aware of where the patients might be moved. Central County Fire at 3 p.m. advised drivers via Twitter that the 1100 block of Trousdale Drive was closed to traffic and should be avoided.