MILLBRAE (KRON) — It has been more than two years since unknown gunmen attacked a PG&E substation in the South Bay.
That attack did millions of dollars in damage to the facility and the assailants have never been caught.
Their motive also remains a mystery, but there could be a new development in the case. The attack on the Metcalf substation back in 2013 was a real wake-up call over the vulnerability of the country’s power infrastructure.
It was troubling that a small group of people could do so much damage in such a short amount of time. Since the attack, there has been a thorough investigation by the FBI but no arrests have been made .
On Wednesday a homeland security officials may or may not have revealed where the investigation is headed. In the early morning hours of April 16, 2013, unknown gunmen opened fire on the Metcalf power substation just south of San Jose.
In this surveillance video, you can see sparks from where bullets struck a chain link fence during the attack. In less than an hour, the gunmen inflicted $15 million worth of damage on the substation and then fled into the night.
More than two years later, an FBI investigation into the incident continues. No suspects have ever been named, and a motive for attack remains a mystery.
But earlier this week, Caitlin Durkovich, an assistant at the Department of Homeland Security, may have revealed a new detail about the case.
She was quoted by CNN as saying, “While we have not yet identified the shooter, there’s some indication it was an insider,” Durkovich said.
The Metcalf substation is managed by PG&E, and on Friday afternoon, we reached out to them for comment. They replied with a statement, saying “we are working closely with the FBI and we cannot speculate on motives. Our priority is enhancing security to protect the grid. You will have to contact the FBI.”
And KRON did reach out to the FBI, who also sent us a statement. They seemed to imply that assistant secretary Durkovich said may have been quoted out of context.
The FBI said, “The FBI has consulted with the Department of Homeland Security today regarding the media reporting. Based on what we understand, there is a significant gap between what was said and what was reported.”
The FBI also said that there is still an open and active investigation into the substation attack, and that they have no further information to share at this time.
Finally, KRON made an attempt to contact homeland security to hopefully clarify Durkovich’s comments, but as of late Friday afternoon, they had not replied.
PG&E and AT&T have offered a $250,000 reward for any information that leads to the arrest and conviction of whoever attacked the substation.