SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — There’s a powerful El Niño system that is expected to pound California with heavy rains, and property damage is a concern for many in and around flood zones.
It’s time for the public to think about being prepared in advance. When the rain comes there’s going to be a long time out of here
Various counties around the Bay Area are offering sandbags to help protect against damage caused by the storms hitting the region. We’ve compiled this list for our readers:
Sandbags will be available on November 14 and November 21, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., at the following locations:
San Francisco Fire Department training facility, Folsom Street/19th St.
Marina Green parking lot, Marina Blvd./Marina Green Drive
The Great Highway at Balboa Street
Lake Merced – Sunset Circle parking lot, Sunset Blvd./Lake Merced Blvd.
Recology Golden Gate, 900 Seventh St. at Berry Street
PUBLIC WORKS AGENCY, MAINTENANCE AND CORPORATION YARDS
- 951 Turner Court, Hayward (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.)
- 4825 Gleason Drive, Dublin (Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
RESIDENTS OF CASTRO VALLEY, SAN LORENZO, AND INCORPORATED HAYWARD
ID/Proof of Residency Required
- 20336 San Miguel Avenue, Castro Valley
- 19780 Cull Canyon Road, Castro Valley
Available 24/7 ~ Bring shovels and fill your own bags.
Bags and sand are located in back of stations.
Maximum of 4 bags per household (based on availability).
There are 17 more sandbag stations managed by various cities within Santa Clara County. Some cities may require proof of residency. You can download a map with a comprehensive listing of sandbag distribution sites.
- Palo Alto: 1925 Embarcadero Road, adjacent to Palo Alto Air Terminal
- Alviso: northeast corner of Gold and Catherine streets.
- San Jose: City Mabury (Service) Yard, 1404 Mabury Road, San Jose, CA 95133
- San Jose: City Central Service Yard, 1661 Senter Road at Phelan Ave., San Jose, CA 95122
- San Jose: Santa Clara Valley Water District Winfield Warehouse, Winfield Boulevard between Blossom Hill Road and Coleman Avenue, San Jose, CA 95123
- Morgan Hill: El Toro Fire Station, 18300 Old Monterey Road
During storm events, all of the sites may only be stocked with sand and empty bags. While shovels are provided at these sites, you may want to bring one with you just in case.
Residents are advised that sandbags are most effective when used to prevent flooding from one foot or less of water from entering a home or business through doorways and garage door openings; and are cautioned to take only 20 to 30 bags per vehicle. Please take only what you need. Sandbag sites run by the water district, cities or the county are operated on the honor system as a flood protection service to residents. The bags are not meant for use in construction or gardening activities. If you are using this site as a source for free sand, you may be prosecuted for theft of public property.
- Pescadero – High School 350 Butano Cut-Off –
- La Honda – Corporation Yard 59 Entrada Way – Telephone: (650) 747-0341
- Princeton – County Corporation Yard 203 Cornell Avenue – Telephone: (650) 728-7993
- Redwood City – Grant County Corporation Yard – 752 Chestnut St Redwood City – Telephone: (650) 363-4103
FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR LOCATIONS – http://marinsheriff.org/uploads/578.pdf
FOLLOW THIS LINK FOR LOCATIONS – https://www.solanocounty.com/depts/oes/grs/flood/sandbags_and_information.asp
275 College Ave, Angwin
If you are in need of help please call 707-965-6551 and ask for the “on-duty fire officer” to contact you.
NOTE: This site is open now. Shovels, bags, sand provided Bring gloves.
Napa County Fire/Gordon Valley Volunteer Fire Station #22
6230 Gordon Valley Road
NOTE: This site is not yet open
St. Helena Calif Dept of Forestry Station
3535 N. St. Helena Highway (between St. Helena and Calistoga, across from Big Tree Road
South Napa/Airport area
Napa River Reclamation District Facility
1501 Milton Road
All winter: 770 Jackson Street
Sandbags are available the first Saturday of the month from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Bring shovel and gloves. (NOT OPEN on Saturday, Dec. 1; instead use site on Freeway Drive)
Nov 30: City has opened a self-service sandbag site in the parking lot north of the Factory Stores on Freeway Drive near First St. Residents should bring a shovel and gloves. Be prepared to fill and transport your own sandbags.
Bring shovel and gloves.
More details on City website
7501 Solano Ave