MORAGA (KRON) — There has been a recent spike in package thefts in the Bay Area, and Moraga police are warning residents of the crimes.
Police said there have been multiple reports of suspects stealing packages from front porches and stealing mail from mailboxes.
Officials are releasing the following tips on preventing package thefts:
- Be aware of suspicious cars that are following or shadowing delivery trucks.
- Be sure to coordinate with your neighbors to hold packages for each other.
- Have packages shipped to your workplace if it is allowed, assuming there is someone there to receive and sign them.
- Ensure that you pick up your mail on a daily basis. Consider installing a locking mail box. Drop your outgoing mail in a U.S. Mail box or at the post office.
- Consider installing a video surveillance system to record your front porch area, your front yard, and the street in front of your house. This may provide photos of a thief and his/her vehicle.