OAKLAND (KRON) — El Niño is expected to bring record-breaking rain to the Bay Area and residents are wondering what they can do to prepare.
The City of Oakland is encouraging their resident to prepare for the heavy winter storms.
Here are some tips to prepare you for the storms:
- Be prepared for flooding, power outages and road closures
- Make contingency plans for shelter should your home flood or become inaccessible
- Discuss evacuation plans with your family now
- Keep 3-7 days of water, food, medicine and other supplies on hand for all family members and pets
Get flood insurance for your home and know your flood risk
- Check your roof, rain gutters and chimney for holes and clear debris
Place sandbags in flood-prone areas
For more tips and services available in the city, go here.