MARIN COUNTY (KRON) – The search for a surfer who was last seen unresponsive in the ocean near Rodeo Beach in the Marin Headlands has been called off, according to officials.
Alexandra Picavet, a spokeswoman for the service said crews from the National Park Service, U.S. Coast Guard, Southern Marin Fire Protection District and Marin County Fire Department have concluded a 24-hour search for 40-year-old Dan Dafoe of San Rafael.
Crews say the search is now a recovery search instead of a rescue search.
A Marin County water rescue team had been on the water searching for Dafoe since day break Thursday but had found no sign of the surfer or his board, Picavet said.
Crews from the Marin County Fire Department, the National Park Service, the U.S. Coast Guard and the Southern Marin Fire Department postponed the search due to hazardous conditions and darkness.
The search began Wednesday just before 5:30 p.m. after receiving a call reporting an unresponsive surfer in the water, according to Marin County Fire Department Battalion Chief Bret McTigue.
Two other surfers reportedly saw the unconscious man facedown in the water at the north end of Rodeo Beach and tried to bring him in through the 8 to 10-foot surf before all three men were hit by a large wave.
The surfers lost contact with the man, and he was last seen in the water near a cave at the north end of the beach, according to officials.
First-responders used boats and a helicopter to look for the missing surfer until the search was suspended because of limited visibility and hazardous conditions, according to McTigue.
The surfer was estimated to be in his 40s. No other information on the man’s identity was immediately available.
Picavet said while crews would still continue to be observant, there would no longer be a focused search for Dafoe.
The photos below are of Dafoe and his wife of 10 years, Erica.