AMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Now that travel restrictions to Cuba less restrictive, many more people in Tampa Bay might be considering a trip.
TripAdvisor has created this list of the most popular Cuban destinations and cultural attractions on the island. The travel website has also provided some helpful tips for Americans planning trips to the island nation.
If you’re wondering about the cost, a TripAdvisor spokesperson said that hotel rooms are available in Cuba for an average of $113 per night.
Top 5 Most Popular Destinations in Cuba
1. Varadero – The beach town of Varadero boasts powdery sands and clear blue waters and is less than a two-hour drive east from Havana.
2. Havana – Cuba’s capital city appears suspended in time, where old world glamour meets Spanish colonial-era reconstruction.
3. Cayo Santa Maria – This small island off the northern coast of central Cuba offers many resorts along the expansive, picturesque coastline.
4. Cayo Coco – Cayo Coco, like Cayo Santa Maria, is on the Jardines del Rey archipelago off the north-central coast and boasts superfine white sand and shallow, clear water.
5. Holguin – Holguin, known as the “City of Parks,” is Cuba’s fourth largest city. Set among mountainous territory in the eastern part of the island, the scenic city offers travelers the perfect combination of cultural attractions and comfortable resorts.
Cuba Travel Tips
- For the best weather, prices and ocean temperatures, travelers should book trips to Cuba in April and May as June to November is considered hurricane season in Cuba.
- U.S. dollar exchanges incur a surcharge in Cuba, so travelers should plan to bring euros, British pounds or Canadian dollars instead.
- Although many Cubans speak some English, regular travelers to the area recommend learning at least some Spanish before making the trip.
- Many TripAdvisor forum posters recommend renting a car to fully explore the area, but travelers should know how to drive a manual and change a tire.
- The currency in Cuba is the convertible peso (CUC), and generally CUC$1 is appropriate for tipping hotel staff and bartenders. Travelers should also plan to tip about 10% in restaurants and taxis.