Video: Barricaded child molestation suspect in Byron killed in officer-involved shooting


BYRON (KRON) — A man facing 12-counts of child molestation charges was fatally shot by Contra Costa Country sheriff’s deputies Friday morning after a nearly 12-hour standoff in Byron.

The 49-year-old man, identified as Michael Mallet, barricaded himself in a house on Hoffman Lane near Excelsior Middle School around 9:45 p.m. Thursday night after police tried to serve a $1.15 million warrant for his arrest, authorities said.

The man, who police say is wanted for alleged child molestation, refused to give himself up and then barricaded himself inside the home.

Before barricading himself inside, he displayed a firearm, police said.

Sheriff’s officials tweeted of the officer-involved shooting around 10:00 a.m.

The man’s family was in the house when the standoff began but police were able to evacuate them from the home. They have since been cooperating with police in trying to get the man out of the house.

Police set up a command center near the house with several officers and negotiators were at the scene attempting to talk to the man to end the standoff as peacefully as possible. D1B56FE1608C46AF88B83E4B1124B90B

An officer-involved shooting ended the standoff, according to the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Office.

In the prolonged standoff that followed, Hoffman said negotiators “made hundreds of calls” to Mallet to get him to surrender peacefully.

Deputies were able to evacuate other occupants in the home.

“We were in constant communication with this individual,” Hoffman said. “The times that we were able to speak with him – clearly he was distraught.”

“I can’t speak to his mindset, but he did make comments that he had no intention on surrendering to us,” he added.

A sheriff’s office SWAT team was called in at about 3 a.m. to help resolve the standoff, Hoffman said. Around 9:30 a.m., a chemical agent described as an irritant was then used in the home to coax the man out.

Hoffman said Mallet exited the home’s west-facing side from a window. He was carrying a handgun and did not comply with the deputies’ orders to drop it, Hoffman said.

Hoffman said Mallet raised the firearm in the direction of the deputies before he was shot an unspecified number of times.

“Unfortunately … the deputies were left with no choice but to protect themselves,” Hoffman said.

The man died at the scene from the gunshot wounds he suffered, despite efforts to resuscitate him. His identity is not being released pending notification of next of kin.

Hoffman could not confirm whether Mallet discharged his handgun before deputies shot him.

Investigators with the county sheriff’s and district attorney’s officers are tasked with investigating this officer-involved shooting, as per usual protocol.

Stay with KRON4 News for updates on this developing story.

Bay City News contributed to this report

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s