GREENVILLE, SC (WSPA) – A one-year-old baby girl died after choking while eating lunch at the Creative Kids Daycare in Greenville County, Wednesday morning.
20-month-old Sydney Ryan Alongio died at the hospital, according to the Greenville County Coroner.
The Greenville County Sheriff’s Office says they were called to the scene just after 11am for a child who was not breathing.
The daycare is located on Sevier Street. The Greenville County Coroner says an autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.
Official reports say she began to choke on her food and daycare workers attempted to resuscitate her while EMS was on the way.
Once they arrived, they rushed the child to the hospital but it was too late; Sydney Alongio passed away in the emergency room at Greenville Memorial Hospital.
Greenville County Coroner Parks Evans says daycare employees told him there were 2 workers watching 10 children when the incident happened.
Daycare workers spoke exclusively to WSPA reporter Tony Cedrone about the incident.
As you all are aware, there was a terrible accident this morning that resulted in a tragic death of a child. Our thoughts and prayers are with this sweet angels family. We have and will continue to cooperate fully with authorities as they investigate this matter. We are deeply saddened by this loss and ask that you respect the privacy of this child’s family during this difficult time. Thank you,” says Austin Williams, an employee at Creative Kids Daycare.
According to the Department of Social Services the daycare has a B+ rating. An inspection in February found a high risk of hazards, but the issue was fixed.
DSS officials say day care workers are required to have first aid training, but whether these workers did is still under investigation.
The coroner tells WSPA the autopsy is scheduled for Thursday.