CONCORD (BCN) — A man who died after a fire at his Concord home Thursday evening was identified by the Contra Costa County coroner’s office Monday as 65-year-old Richard Costa.
The one-alarm structure fire was initially reported to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District around 8:45 p.m. Thursday in the 2400 block of Tanager Circle.
Fire crews arrived to find a home’s garage engulfed in flames and a vehicle parked just outside the garage also on fire, according to the fire district. Costa was found inside the home and was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
A woman was taken to the hospital as well and was treated for minor injuries. The woman was Costa’s wife, according to a crowd-funding website established to support the family.
The fire also resulted in the death of the family’s dog.
Fire officials said the fire damage was mostly confined to the garage but other parts of the home sustained smoke damage. Fire officials provided a damage estimate of $120,000.
No additional information about what may have caused the blaze is being released yet, fire officials said on Monday.
A determination on the cause of Costa’s death is awaiting the results of toxicology tests, according to the coroner’s office.
More information on the crowd-funding effort, which seeks to help Costa’s wife, can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/243sgs4.