Police report indicates cause of Moraga fire was resident who fell asleep smoking in car

MORAGA (KRON) — A police report has indicated that the cause of a damaging Moraga home fire on Tuesday morning was started when a person fell asleep smoking a cigarette in a car, police said on Tuesday.

The blaze, which Moraga-Orinda Fire District crews responded to shortly after 4 a.m., began in a vehicle parked under a carport outside a home in the 200 block of Sandringham Drive North, according to a Moraga Police Department report.

A 20-year-old resident who was not allowed to smoke in the home was out smoking a cigarette in his car. While smoking, he apparently fell asleep and later awoke to find his vehicle on fire, according to police.

Officers at the scene evacuated two adults and a dog in the home, according to police. There were no reports of injuries.

Responding firefighters found the vehicle and the carport engulfed in flames, with the blaze spreading to surrounding vegetation, a storage area and the home’s attic, according to the fire district.

The 19 firefighters at the scene, including assisting crews from the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District, brought the blaze under control at 4:33 a.m.

Although fire district officials were not immediately able to provide a damage estimate, police reported the vehicle was destroyed and the carport and the home’s garage sustained moderate to major damage.

Bay City News contributed to this report

13239088_10153742677148095_6022598739532875178_n

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s