MECHANICSBURG, Pa. (WHTM) – An 8-year-old Pennsylvania girl remained in critical condition Monday after she was shocked while swimming in a backyard pool.
The girl was in the intensive care unit at Penn State Hershey Medical Center, police said.
She was in a pool at a home along Rockledge Road in Silver Spring Township and was shocked Sunday evening when the pool lights were turned on and apparently malfunctioned.
Adults pulled the girl out of the pool after she went into cardiac arrest. Firefighters performed CPR until an officer arrived and used a defibrillator to resuscitate the girl, police said.
She was flown to the hospital by helicopter. Her name was not released.
“The good news part of this story is there were adults present,” Silver Spring Community Fire Chief Doug McDonald said. “They were supervising. They immediately reacted to the problem.”
Accidents do happen to the best of people, and with no malice whatsoever,” he said.
Police said seven other children in the pool may have felt some kind of sensation but did not need medical treatment.
“I suspect it’s because the young girl who was injured, I believe she must have somehow been grounded, perhaps had hold of a metal ladder, maybe even had a foot down in the pool,” McDonald said.
“Our prayers to her family and we really hope she has a complete and speedy recovery,” he added.