SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — With summer approaching, people wanting to beat the heat will flock to beaches across the Bay Area.
With all the news about recent drownings, it’s important that you stay safe while having fun out in the water.
Here are some tips on how to stay safe:
- Check the current and expected weather and water conditions before heading out
- Always have a working VHF-FM radio, especially when recreating on the water, whether boating or involved in sports such as kayaking, paddle boarding, or kite and wind surfing
- Wear life jackets while on the water
- File a float plan with friends, family members or local marinas before heading out
- Do not boat under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances
- Keep children informed of water safety
- Divers should evaluate their own physical condition as well as that of their equipment, never dive alone, and be willing to cancel their diving plans and choose another activity if ocean conditions are too rough
- Dog owners are also reminded to protect their pets from rough waves and not to attempt to rescue their dog from a surf zone. It is important to remember to keep calm and allow the dogs to swim out on their own. More information on pet safety