CDC: Nashville teens first to die from drinking ‘dewshine’

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – The Center for Disease Control released a report about two Greenbrier teens who died after drinking a mixture of racing fuel and soda.

According to the CDC, Logan Stephenson and J.D. Byram were the first reported deaths in the US associated with the mixture called “dewshine.”

Methanol is the life-threatening component of racing fuel.

Health officials say the initial signs and symptoms of methanol intoxication are drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain.

More serious symptoms include visual disturbances, abnormal breathing, and seizures.

The Tennessee Department of Health has since developed educational materials for communities about the dangers of ingesting racing fuels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s