Fremont officer shot in traffic stop released from hospital

FREMONT (BCN) — One of two Fremont police officers shot during a traffic stop earlier this month has been released from the hospital, police said on Thursday.

The officer released had been in stable condition after the shooting that started with a traffic stop at 1:33 p.m. June 1 on Fremont Boulevard at Washington Boulevard. The other officer was in critical condition after the shooting and has improved.

A donation account for the officer in critical condition has been established at Wells Fargo Bank under account No. 3222976254. The Fremont Police Association will also accept donations through the same account number.

Donations can also be mailed to P.O. Box 1727, Fremont, CA 94538 or dropped off to the Fremont Police Department during business hours.

San Jose man Gerald Villabrille Jr., 44, was driving a stolen truck when police pulled him over. But Villabrille backed into a patrol car and opened fire on another officer, critically wounding him, police said.

Another officer, a detective with 10 years of experience, was shot one time about 10 minutes later.

Police chased Villabrille to a home where he barricaded himself inside and shot himself in the head. He died of the self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to the coroner’s bureau, but the building also burned down with Villabrille inside.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s