VIDEO: Cigarette left burning caused 5-alarm fire in Antioch

 

ANTIOCH (BCN) — A fire in Antioch this weekend that destroyed a home and damaged three others was caused by a discarded cigarette, according to a Contra Costa County Fire Protection District captain.

The five-alarm fire, which was reported at 4:36 p.m. Saturday in the 900 block of Burwood Way, caused an estimated $650,000 in damage and charred five acres of vegetation, Fire Capt. George Laing said today.

More than 50 fire personnel responded to the blaze, one of three large fires in Contra Costa County on Saturday that stretched fire district resources thin. It was brought under control by 6:15 p.m.

Laing said a person discarded a cigarette that was still burning. The person could potentially face criminal charges, Laing said.

A suspect has been identified but has not been taken into custody, he said.

Laing also confirmed that one of the homes damaged by the blaze had marijuana growing in it.

Antioch police were not immediately available to provide additional details on the case.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s