OAKLAND (KRON) — Demonstrators shut down a major highway in Oakland Thursday night to protest the recent police shootings of black men.
All lanes of Interstate Highway 880 have been reopened early Friday morning following the night of protests.
The protest, called by the groups Live Free and the Anti-Police Terror Project, started at 7 p.m. at Frank Ogawa Plaza with a group of 100 protestors and quickly grew to about 2,000 people.
As demonstrators made their way down Broadway toward 6th Street, a group of about 1,000 protestors went onto the highway and blocked traffic in both directions, police said.
Protesters were sitting across the lanes, some were lighting off fireworks. One protester attempted to light a moveable Caltrans sign on fire.
The crowd downsized from 800 to about 500 protestors by 11 p.m.
KRON4: TWITTER COVERAGE OF PROTESTS
At 12:18 a.m., the Oakland Police Department reported there will still about 100 protestors demonstrating against police violence.
Bt 1:15 a.m., all protestors were cleared out and the freeway was reopened.
Police reported vandalism to the Police Administration Building, including paint on the doors, scratches on glass and broken glass.
Protest underway in Oakland against recent police shootings
There have been other incidents of vandalism reported including broken windows and graffiti at nearby businesses.
There were arrests made, but police have not said how many people were arrested during the protests.
How to Stay Informed
The City will use a variety of communication channels to keep the community informed:
- Website: www.oaklandnet.com
- Subscribe to Email or Text Alerts
Enter your email address in the “Email Updates” section on the City’s home page, www.oaklandnet.com. To receive wireless alerts via mobile phone, check the “Send Wireless Alerts to this address” box.
- Public Safety Notifications
Receive notifications from OPD through text/SMS, mobile applications, email and Internet posts. Sign up at www.nixle.com.
For general City of Oakland news, follow @Oakland.
For public safety news, follow OPD @oaklandpoliceca.
- Business Support
Contact the City of Oakland’s Business Assistance Center at (510) 238-7952 or visit www.oaklandbusinesscenter.com.
- Telephone: call (510) 444-CITY.
- Transit Updates
Visit www.511.org or call 511 for up-to-date traffic and transit information.
- For BART information, call (510) 465-2278 or visit www.bart.gov. Sign up for mobile service alerts at www.bart.gov/news/alerts.
Anonymously Report Illegal Activity
- Call OPD’s anonymous toll-free tip hotline: (855) TIPS-247 (855-847-7247)
- Text TIP OAKLANDPD to 888777 from your text-enabled cell phone
- Go to http://nixle.us/tip/oakland-police-department-ca/ to anonymously submit photos of illegal activity using the online submission form
- From a landline: call 911
- From a cell phone: call (510) 777-3211 (pre-program this number now so it is handy in an emergency)
Simple Tips for Everyday Safety
View everyday tips for business safety at http://www2.oaklandnet.com/w/OAK059673. For tips in Chinese, visit http://www2.oaklandnet.com/w/OAK059674 and http://www2.oaklandnet.com/w/OAK059675 for tips in Spanish.