NEW YORK (KRON) – A northern Virginia man has lost part of his leg after he stepped on an explosive device in New York’s Central Park last week, police said.
Family members of Conner Golden say doctors amputated the 18-year-old’s lower leg and foot on Friday, according to KRON4’s Media General affiliate WRIC.
Police believe that Golden stepped on a home-made firework that had been left in the park.
The man had been in the park at about 11 a.m. Sunday. Witnesses told police that the man had just stepped onto a rock when an explosion occurred. Witnesses said an explosion was heard blocks away.
Golden’s family thanked everyone who helped their son at the time of the accident, including paramedics.
WRIC contributed to this report