REDWOOD CITY (KRON) — A Pescadero man pleaded not guilty to 17 counts of lewd acts with a child for molesting his daughter’s youngs friend during sleepovers in 2011 and 2012.
In total, an investigation by the sheriff’s office concluded Daniel Miranda, 69, had abused five girls since 1999.
The man also allegedly molested a neighbor in 2002 and 2003, according to San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office.
In total, an investigation by the sheriff’s office concluded that 69-year-old Daniel Miranda, had molested five girls since 1999, and they suspect many more to come forward.
Miranda first came to the attention of the sheriff’s office in 2014 when San Mateo County Children and Family Services officials alerted investigators of a young friend of Miranda’s daughter who said she had been molested during sleepovers at his home.
According to prosecutors, the sheriff’s office could not find “enough” evidence to charge him and the case languished until June 2016, when a second victim came forward.
The second victim said she also was molested during sleepovers at Miranda’s house in 2011 and 2012, according to prosecutors.
Investigators found three more victims, including a former resident on Miranda’s property who said she had been molested in 2002 and 2003.
Prosecutors filed charges for three of the victims, but for two other girls who allegedly saw Miranda perform lewd acts, the statute of limitations for those potential misdemeanors had passed, District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said.
The sheriff’s office served a search warrant at Miranda’s home on Wednesday. Miranda accompanied by his lawyer, turned himself in later that day.
Miranda was booked into jail on a $6.4 million bail.
Miranda is a retired San Francisco Municipal Railway operator. Sheriff’s Detective Sal Zuno said Miranda’s employment appears to be unrelated to the offences.
Miranda appeared in court on Monday and pleaded not guilty to 17 counts of child molestation.
Judge Susan Jakubowski denied a motion to lower his bail and he remains in custody.
Miranda is scheduled to return to court on September 13.
Sheriff’s officials think more victims may not have come forward yet and are asking anyone with information about the case to call Detective Joe Cang at 650-259-2417 or to email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Bay City News contributed to this report.