Woman cooks brisket in bathtub, causes apartment fire

KNOXVILLE (WATE) – Firefighters controlled flames in a North Knoxville apartment after a woman tried to cook brisket in her bathtub.

Knoxville Fire Department Captain D.J. Corcoran said,” This is not a safe practice, and over 50 percent of residential fires involve cooking.”

Crews responded to the fire at 4834 Scheel Road, apartment 214 Monday at 6:05 p.m. A woman was found fanning smoke from the residence. She was trying to cook the brisket in a fiberglass bathtub, according to crews.

There was an open flame at the bottom of the tub along with a wire rack. The brisket was on the upper edges of the rack. The tub was melting. Crews used the shower head to put out the fire.

There were no injuries reported. According to firefighters, the apartment below had minimal water damage.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s