CHARLOTTE, N.C. (KRON) — The man shot during the police protests in Charlotte, North Carolina has died on Thursday. On Friday morning, Charlotte police chief announced the suspect behind the fatal shooting has been arrested.
The victim, a 26-year-old man, had been in critical condition, officials said.
Officials first reported Wednesday that he was deceased, but hours later said he was alive, and then confirmed on Thursday that he has died.
Authorities said Wednesday night’s shooting was between two civilians. Shots were not fired by police, officials said.
Further details on the suspect have not been released at this time.
Two other people were hurt during the protests, including seven other law enforcement officers, WNCN reports.
Two employees at a hotel were also injured, according to WNCN.
City officials hope Thursday night’s protest will be peaceful.
“My plan is to have my people ready, we are,” Chief Kerr Putney said Wednesday morning. “My plan is to be staffed appropriately, we will be. Hopefully we will have peaceful protests and do things the Charlotte way.”
Faith and community leaders also are asking for peace.
The wife of Keith Lamont Scott, who police in North Carolina shot and killed, said in a statement asking for protesters to remain calm.
A GoFundMe page has been set up for Scott.
Stay with KRON4 for updates during this breaking news story on-air, online, and on the KRON4 app.
WNCN and CNN contributed to this report.