NOVATO (KRON) — A grass fire is burning on Tuesday afternoon in Novato.
The fire was accidently sparked by a 14-year-old boy who was playing with matches at the base of the hill behind residences, firefighters said. The teen was cited by Novato police.
The fire is happening near Miwok Park. The fire is also burning near power lines and homes.
At 6:07 p.m., Novato Fire District firefighters responded to a brush fire and house fire on Oliva Drive near Miwok Park.
Fire crews were able to put out the flames approximately 20 minutes after arriving.
As of 8:30 p.m., the fire is 75 percent contained.
One home is damaged and utility wires are down as a result of a two-alarm fire, firefighters said.
The four-to-five acre brush fire then caused the back of a house to catch fire. The house does not appear to be a total loss, firefighters said.
Firefighters are still in the initial stages of responding and are not yet sure about the size or impact of the fire, according to Novato Fire District spokeswoman Sandy Wargo.
The heat from the fire also caused some power lines to ignite. Large amounts of dry brush caused the fire to spread quickly.
Due to a busy couple days of battling fires, the Novato Fire District crews already had all of their wildland fighting gear readily available, which did help quicken the response to the fire.
No injuries have been reported.