(KRON) A rare earthquake warning for Southern California has been canceled.
The California Office of Emergency Services announced Tuesday morning that the danger has passed.
Such warnings are typically issued once or twice a year, said Kelly Huston, the deputy director of crisis communications for the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.
The latest alert was issued after 142 temblors hit starting Monday near Bombay Beach at the southern end of the fault. Those quakes ranged from a magnitude of 1.4 to 4.3, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
The warning by the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services follows a series of small temblors deep under the Salton Sea, which is located on the 800-mile-long San Andreas fault.
Here is what the State OES:
After a recent swarm of smaller earthquakes near the Salton Sea last week, Cal OES issued an earthquake advisory for those in Southern California to be prepared for the potential of additional earthquakes. That advisory ended today at 9 a.m.
The short-term elevated likelihood of earthquake activity in the area of Southern California has now decreased to background levels for the Southern San Andreas fault.
Cal OES will continue to be in contact with the scientific community and will provide additional information on earthquake activity as warranted.
Southern California is one of the most seismically active regions in the U.S. along with Alaska and the Big Island of Hawaii. On average, Southern California has about 10,000 earthquakes each year, according to theU.S. Geological Survey. That’s more than 27 a day!
While the potential risk of an earthquake can bring about a heighten level of anxiety and rattle the nerves, it is important to know that there are steps to help prepare.
— Cal OES (@Cal_OES) October 4, 2016