LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY (KRON) — Smoke from a Samsung device caused an airplane to be evacuated at Louisville International Airport on Wednesday morning, according to a fire official.
Louisville Metro Arson Capt. Kevin Fletcher told news outlets that the device overheated and began to smoke, which led Southwest Airlines to evacuate the plane before it departed for Baltimore.
Airport authority spokesperson Natalie Chaudoin said 75 people, including crew members, were evacuated from the flight. She says no one was injured.
Fletcher says there was minor damage to the plane’s carpet where the device was dropped.
U.S. safety regulators announced a formal recall last month of Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone after a spate of fires led to injuries and property damage.
A Samsung spokesperson has issued the following statement:
“Until we are able to retrieve the device, we cannot confirm that this incident involves the new Note7. We are working with the authorities and Southwest now to recover the device and confirm the cause. Once we have examined the device we will have more information to share.”
Associated Press contributed to this report.