SAN JOSE (KRON) — A San Jose State University water polo player is accused of sexual assaulting two women, according to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office.
The student is suspected of sexually assaulting the two female students on separate occasions during Labor Day weekend, university spokeswoman Pat Lopes Harris said.
College officials were notified of one of the alleged assaults sometime between Sept. 3 and 5 and the other on Sept. 19, Harris said.
The school hasn’t named the suspect because he hasn’t been arrested or charged with the alleged assaults, she said.
The water polo player, an international student, was placed on interim suspension on Sept. 22, banning him from educational and extracurricular activities and living on campus, according to Harris.
Authorities believe the student has returned to his home country, Harris said.
San Jose police has sent its case to the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s Office, which will determine if criminal charges will be filed.
The President of the university, Mary Papazian, issued the following statement:
Dear Campus Community,
In the last 24 hours, news reports have surfaced regarding allegations of sexual assault involving a SJSU student and member of our men’s water polo team and two victims, also students. Although student privacy and numerous pending investigations limit what we can say, I want you to know as much as can be shared.
These deeply troubling reports first came to the attention of university staff last month. Because they occurred off campus, city of San Jose police (SJPD) have led the criminal investigation. I am told that the case is now being reviewed by the Santa Clara District Attorney’s office.
In the meantime, our Student Affairs staff and Title IX office have acted to protect and support the students involved while internal student conduct and Title IX inquiries moved forward. Although there are reports that the student is no longer in the U.S., these investigations are continuing.
Pending the outcomes of these investigations, the student accused of these acts was placed on interim suspension, barred from campus, and ordered to stay away from the victims.
I know some are wondering why a campus crime alert was not issued sooner. The totality of information available at the time—including the fact that the suspect had been identified and was being closely monitored—led to the determination that there was no imminent safety threat to the campus community.
While we are confident that this was a reasonable decision based on what we knew, I very much appreciate this concern. We will be reviewing all existing protocols and processes in collaboration with our newly established Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusive Excellence and many others. Please contact Chief Diversity Officer Kathleen Wong(Lau) or Title IX Officer Natalie Potts if you have any questions or concerns.