Petaluma fire causes $50K in damage to home

fire generic

PETALUMA (BCN)—A chimney fire caused $50,000 in damage to a home and left it uninhabitable Saturday afternoon in Petaluma, fire officials said.

The homeowner reported the fire at 3:58 p.m. at his home at 1113 Daniel Drive.

When firefighters arrived they found the top six feet of a wood-framed chimney on fire.

Crews extinguished the fire on the exterior of the home, but inside flames had extended into the attic above a bathroom near the chimney, according to fire officials.

From an upstairs bedroom, firefighters extinguished those flames to prevent the fire from spreading any further.

The fire was under control at 4:14 p.m., fire officials said.

The fire appears to have started in the wood chase of the chimney after the homeowner started a fire in the fireplace.

He noticed the fire while he was splitting wood. Fire officials said it’s likely the fire started because the chimney flue failed.

No one and no pets were injured, according to fire officials.

Flames did extensive damage to the upstairs master bathroom, including electrical work, prompting PG&E to shut off power to the house.

The electrical work will need to be repaired before the homeowner can come home. In the meantime, he’s staying with family.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s