SAN JOSE (BCN)—A 20-year-old man who allegedly fired shots at two San Jose police officers last week made his first court appearance on the case this afternoon.
Luis Enrique Soriano was arraigned on two counts of attempted murder on a peace officer, two counts of assault with a firearm on police officers, being a felon in possession of a firearm and being a felon in possession of ammunition, Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Stephen Poolos said after today’s hearing.
Soriano could face life with the possibility of parole if convicted on the attempted murder charges.
Soriano appeared in a red jail uniform at the Hall of Justice in San Jose and didn’t enter a plea. He’s scheduled to return to court on Monday morning.
On Nov. 13 shortly after 7:30 p.m., two police officers on patrol working gang enforcement in the area of Avalani Avenue and Luby Drive approached a group of people who quickly ran away, police said.
Soriano, believed to be in the group, allegedly fired shots at the uniformed officers while he fled, according to police.
The officers weren’t struck and no injuries were reported, police said.
A day later, the San Jose Police Officers’ Association offered a $10,000 reward seeking information that could lead to an arrest and conviction.
Detectives identified Soriano as the suspect and arrested him Thursday at his home in San Jose, police said.
The 20-year-old man was also arrested on suspicion of violating his probation, according to police.
Anyone with information on the case is asked to call police Detectives Gabriel Cuenca or Richard Martinez at (408) 277-3835. Those who wish to remain anonymous may call Silicon Valley Crime Stoppers at (408) 947-7867.