HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Mirranda Grace Lawson, the 2-year-old Hanover County girl who had been on life support since she choked on a popcorn kernel in May, has died.
VCU Medical Center confirmed that she died on November 1.
— Tracey Smith (@TraceySmithTV) November 21, 2016
VCU Medical Center and the young girl’s family have been involved in a legal battle for months. The family did not want doctors to perform a brain apnea test, which would have determined if the two-year-old was brain dead, in fear that it would harm her.
Monday afternoon, the hospital released the following statement regarding her death:
We extend our deepest sympathies to the Lawson family as they grieve Mirranda Grace’s death. During the several months Mirranda was at our hospital, we saw the Lawson’s enduring love and support of their daughter in dealing with the tragedy. Mirranda’s medical team demonstrated the highest-levels of quality and compassionate care for her and her family. Our thoughts and best hopes remain with the Lawsons. — VCU Medical Center