VIDEO: Battery charger causes San Leandro house fire that displaces family of four

(Alameda County Fire/Facebook)
(Alameda County Fire/Facebook)

 

SAN LEANDRO (BCN) — A family of four was displaced and one person suffered minor injuries in a single-alarm house fire Wednesday morning in San Leandro, according to fire officials.

At about 11:25 a.m., the Alameda County Fire Department received a call that a house in the 14000 block of Birch Street was on fire.

Firefighters were able to contain the blaze to a back bedroom, where the fire started, and a hallway before it was extinguished.

Before fire crews arrived, a woman was able to exit the house quickly with her two grandchildren, ages three months and 10 years, after being alerted by a fire alarm, according to fire officials.

The fire was caused by the failure of an electrical battery-recharging device used for one of the children’s remote control cars, according to fire spokeswoman Aisha Knowles.

No firefighters were injured in the blaze, but one resident suffered a minor injury and was treated at the scene, Knowles said.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s