DETROIT (AP) — A Detroit-area doctor has been charged with performing genital mutilation on two young girls from Minnesota.
Prosecutors say Dr. Jumana Nagarwala was arrested Thursday, days after two 7-year-old girls identified her as the person who performed medical procedures on them at a Livonia clinic in February.
The FBI says the girls were accompanied to the clinic by their mothers. Female genital mutilation of minors is illegal in the U.S. unless there’s a legitimate health reason.
Nagarwala’s attorney, Shannon Smith, declined to comment after a brief court hearing. The doctor will remain in custody and return to court Monday.
In a court filing, the FBI says Nagarwala denied performing genital mutilation. The FBI also says the doctor is a member of a cultural community that believes in the practice.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- US drops largest non-nuclear bomb ever used on IS
- Scorpion falls out of overhead bin, stings passenger on United flight
- Lawyer says United passenger dragged off plane has concussion, lost teeth
- Mother shares final moments of son’s battle with cancer
- Family of teen killed by Fremont police wants answers
- Boy, 8, drives little sister to McDonald’s for cheeseburgers
- People Behaving Badly: Attention BART fare evaders, the free ride is over