CONTRA COSTA COUNTY (KRON) — A Bethel Island man was arrested Thursday for allegedly molesting a girl and trying to kill her, according to authorities.
Detectives arrested 45-year-old Richard James Wasso on an attempted murder charge and multiple counts of child molestation, according to the Contra Costa Sheriff’s Office.
The investigation started late last month after alleged acts of molestation of a minor were reported.
Detectives confirmed the female victim’s allegations and also learned that Wasso had allegedly tried to kill her.
Wasso is a registered sex offender listed on the California Megan’s Law Website.
He was booked into the Martinez Detention Facility and is currently being held on a $7,440,000 bail.
Detectives believe there may be additional victims. Wasso has previously lived or spent time in San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Santa Clara Counties. The cities include Manteca, Stockton, Ceres, Modesto, Gilroy and Morgan Hill.
Anyone with any information about Wasso is asked to contact the Special Victims Unit of the Investigation Division at (925) 313-2625.
Stay with KRON4 News for updates
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Couple accused of trying to murder baby in San Leandro McDonald’s
- Lease: No rent for Raiders at Las Vegas stadium
- New rules for San Francisco’s 4/20 marijuana festival
- Police department’s 4/20 munchies trap goes viral
- Oakland resident shot during home invasion
- McDonald’s pit stop for chicken McNuggets, fries led police to Facebook killer
- San Francisco prepares for 420 celebration on Hippie Hill
- Suspect in Fresno shooting spree shouts ‘Allahu Akbar’ when arrested
- Mountain lion snatches dog off bed inside of Pescadero home
- VIDEO: Loud sex sounds interrupt pro tennis match in Florida