OAKLAND (KRON) — The Oakland Raiders have selected cornerback Gareon Conley as their No. 1 pick in the 2017 NFL Draft.
Despite rape allegations that emerged days before the draft, Ohio State cornerback Conley was drafted with the No. 24 pick.
Conley seemed like a lock to be selected in the first round until earlier this week, when it was revealed that he had been accused of sexually assaulting a woman in Cleveland.
He called the allegations “completely false” and no charges have been filed as police investigate. Conley was named in a police report that details the allegations but no information has been forwarded to prosecutors.
The pick addresses Oakland’s lack of depth in the secondary.
Conley started every game over the past two years at Ohio State and allowed opposing quarterbacks to complete just 37 percent of their throws in his direction
KRON4’s Gary Radnich and Mark Carpenter are covering the draft all day long.
Stay with KRON4 for updates on this breaking news story on-air, online, and on the KRON4 app.
Top Posts & Pages
- VIDEO: BART identifies multiple suspects in Oakland Coliseum mob attack
- Watch KRON 4 newscasts on live streams
- Mob Attack: BART has video inside train car
- VIDEO: 6-figure salary considered “low-income” in parts of Bay Area
- VIDEO: BART thwarts group of teen fare evaders
- VIDEO: 40 to 60 teens swarm Oakland BART train, rob passengers
- 2 people seriously hurt in possible drive-by shooting in Hayward
- VIDEO: Protesters gather in Berkeley after cancellation of Ann Coulter speech
- VIDEO: BART mob attack victim says police did not take her assault seriously enough
- VIDEO: 5 dead in 10 days from suspected heroin overdoses in Santa Rosa