JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Authorities in Florida say a 12-year-old girl is recovering after being grazed in the head by a bullet during a sleepover for a friend’s birthday.
The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office say the girl was sleeping on a couch when the shooting occurred around 2 a.m. Sunday. Investigators tell First Coast News (http://fcnews.tv/2oXxQpM ) that the homeowner’s 11-year-old nephew who suffers from a mental illness shot the gun. He is under a 72-hour mental evaluation.
Officials say the bullet grazed the child, went through the couch and the living room wall. The girl was taken to a hospital but her injury is not thought to be life-threatening.
The homeowner told investigators the shooting was an accident. About eight children were at the home for a birthday party.
Top Posts & Pages
- Watch KRON 4 newscasts on live streams
- VIDEO: Children among 2 killed, 3 injured in crash on Highway 880 in Oakland
- Rattlesnake bite on Mission Peak near Fremont sends hiker to hospital in serious condition
- VIDEO: 15-year-old boy shot, killed in San Francisco’s Sunset District
- VIDEO: Toddler struck by a vehicle in Union City parking lot
- VIDEO: San Diego gunman was allegedly distraught over breakup during apartment complex shooting spree
- VIDEO: 2 deadly traffic accidents on Highway 880, 1 in San Francisco Monday morning
- 22-year-old Pittsburg man killed in shooting near Oakland Home Depot store
- Popular beach volleyball courts in Santa Cruz closed for murder investigation
- 2 arrested for kidnapping, armed robbery after SWAT standoff in South Carolina