SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — A San Francisco Police Officer shot and killed a stabbing suspect inside a Subway sandwich shop as he was attacking a victim along Market Street near 5th Street.
Police Chief William Scott says “at 11:22 a.m. two uniformed police officers were walking the foot beat in the 900 block of Market Street, they observed a white male stabbing an Asian male, a Filipino male.”
The stabbing was going on as officers happened onto the scene.
At that point, officers intervened with one officer firing at least one shot. That person has died. The person that was stabbed has been taken to a San Francisco hospital.
The police chief did not release any other details about what led to the shooting.
“Loss of life is tragic, doesn’t matter how it happens, it’s tragic,” Scott said. “These things, we try to avoid them as much as we can, but we have an obligation to protect the public.”
Both directions of Market Street were shut down, Muni service has now resumed.
But at around 4:34 p.m., Market Street reopened.
The stabbing victim is recovering in the hospital and is expected to survive.
Stay with KRON4 News for updates
— San Francisco Police (@SFPD) May 3, 2017
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- CALIFORNIA HOMEOWNER HOLDS TEEN BURGLARY SUSPECTS AT GUNPOINT
- WOMAN MOVES INTO NEW HOUSE, FINDS NEARLY 100 SNAKES
- SAN JOSE OFFICER SHOOTS MAN WHILE RESPONDING TO FAMILY DISTURBANCE
- VIDEO: VIOLENT BRAWL ERUPTS BETWEEN PASSENGERS ON LOS ANGELES-BOUND FLIGHT
- RATTLESNAKE BITE ON MISSION PEAK SENDS HIKER TO HOSPITAL
- MOM STABS WOMAN DURING ROAD RAGE INCIDENT OUTSIDE SF SCHOOL
- HOW TO TURN A VIRAL VIDEO INTO CASH