NAPA COUNTY (KRON) — Two people died this morning when the plane they were in crashed on land in Napa County near the eastern end of Lake Berryessa, a Napa County sheriff’s captain said.
The crash occurred around 9:20 a.m. near Little Portuguese Cove between Pleasure Cove Marina and Markley Cove Resort, Capt. Steve Blower said.
The single-engine Icon A5 crashed under circumstances officials have not determined yet.
The crash site is inaccessible by land so emergency personnel are getting to the site by boat.
Paramedics confirmed at the site that both people were dead, according to Blower.
The Federal Aviation Administration and National Transportation Safety Board will be investigating the crash, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said.
The two killed have been identified as Jon Karkow and Cagri Sever.
Karkow was most recently living in Vacaville and originally was from Maine. Sever came to Vacaville from Ann Arbor, Michigan about a week ago.
ICON CEO Kirk Hawkins has issued the following statement:
“It is with great sadness that I write this. Earlier today, two ICON Employees were killed in an A5 accident while flying at Lake Berryessa, CA. We have no details on the cause of the accident right now and the names of the victims have not been released publicly. The NTSB and FAA have been notified and ICON will be working closely with them to fully support their investigation.
This was a devastating personal loss for many of us. Once arrangements have been made with all the families involved we will let you know more. Please hold your calls and requests for a brief period while we work through this tragic event with the family members and employees. The thoughts and prayers of our entire organization are with the families of both people onboard, they were both truly amazing individuals.”
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- FAMILY SUES BART OVER MOB ATTACK
- POLICE: ARMY VET CHARGED IN FATAL SHOOTING OF SERVICE DOG FOUND DEAD
- 11-YEAR-OLD GIRL REVIVED WITH NARCAN AFTER OVERDOSE
- DEPUTIES: INTOXICATED WOMAN PASSES OUT AT WHEEL WITH TODDLER IN BACKSEAT
- MAN TO GET LIFE TERM FOR KILLING OF 7-YEAR-OLD SON
- VALERO REFINERY CONTINUES TO FLARE IN BENICIA
- MARIN COUNTY DEPUTY CORONER CHARGED WITH MOLESTING MINOR
- UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS VICTIM ASKED TO CALL MOM AS HE WAS DYING
- CALIFORNIA HOMEOWNER HOLDS TEEN BURGLARY SUSPECTS AT GUNPOINT