MADRAS, Ore. (AP) – The mother of a 2-year-old girl and the woman’s husband have been sentenced to more than a year in prison for what prosecutors called “horrific” abuse of the child at the couple’s Madras home.
The Bend Bulletin reports Friday that Antonio Javon Burke-Gates shot cell phone video of his wife, Mariah Rodriguez, beating and berating the sobbing toddler and mocking her because she couldn’t stand up. The two pleaded guilty to first-degree criminal mistreatment and third-degree assault and were sentenced earlier this week.
Burke-Gates can be heard on the video telling his wife she’s going too far and that he can’t take the girl out in public because she is so bruised.
He did not intervene.
He later sent the video to his grandmother, who contacted police.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- DO APPLE CIDER VINEGAR DIETS HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT?
- CALIFORNIA BABYSITTER CONVICTED OF MURDER IN DEATH OF 4-MONTH-OLD BOY
- SAN FRANCISCO POLICE RELEASE VIDEO OF FATAL OFFICER-INVOLVED SHOOTING IN SUBWAY
- PARENTS WARNED ABOUT POTENTIALLY DEADLY ‘BLUE WHALE GAME’
- LOS ANGELES WOMAN ASSAULTED DURING INSTAGRAM DATE
- WOMAN SAYS SHE WAS FORCED TO PEE IN CUP ON UNITED FLIGHT
- ONLY ON 4: ATTACK ON SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENT POSTED ONLINE