JAKARTA, Indonesia (WCMH) — When a huge, decaying sea creature washed up on the shores of Seram Island in Indonesia this week, residents weren’t quite sure what to think.
The Jakarta Globe reports that resident Asrul Tuanakota discovered the almost 50-foot long carcass on Tuesday night. Residents initially believed it was a giant squid, but local officials say it looks more like a sperm whale.
Marcus Chua, a curator at the Lee Kong Chian National History Museum, told Mashable the carcass is probably a baleen whale. He added there has been no report of giant squid in Indonesian waters.
Residents have asked the government to help them remove the creature’s remains, as it is already beginning to decay.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- DO APPLE CIDER VINEGAR DIETS HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT?
- CALIFORNIA BABYSITTER CONVICTED OF MURDER IN DEATH OF 4-MONTH-OLD BOY
- SAN FRANCISCO POLICE RELEASE VIDEO OF FATAL OFFICER-INVOLVED SHOOTING IN SUBWAY
- PARENTS WARNED ABOUT POTENTIALLY DEADLY ‘BLUE WHALE GAME’
- LOS ANGELES WOMAN ASSAULTED DURING INSTAGRAM DATE
- WOMAN SAYS SHE WAS FORCED TO PEE IN CUP ON UNITED FLIGHT
- ONLY ON 4: ATTACK ON SPECIAL NEEDS STUDENT POSTED ONLINE