BENICIA (KRON) — The same East Bay refinery that flared earlier this month is at it again Tuesday morning.
Just over a week ago a power failure at the Valero Refinery in Benicia caused major flaring at the plant and also sent plumes of black smoke into the air.
The flares prompted some evacuations and forced the Benicia Unified School District to send out a notification.
KRON4’s Lydia Pantazes is monitoring the situation this morning.
She says when there is no power, the stacks flare to safely release heat.
KRON4 has contacted Valero, and they confirmed they do still have flaring this morning that is residual from the power outage last week.
— Lydia Pantazes (@LydiaPantazes) May 16, 2017
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- WOMAN ACCUSED OF ASSAULTING VICTIM WITH ROCK AT PITTSBURG BART STATION
- 2 INJURED IN HAYWARD FREEWAY SHOOTING
- OFFICER ACCIDENTALLY OVERDOSES AFTER TOUCHING FENTANYL DURING DRUG RESPONSE
- DEPUTIES SAY STABBING SUSPECT WAS CARRYING ‘HUMAN HEAD’
- ONLY ON KRON4: SOUTH BAY GRANDMA SCAMMED OUT OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS
- SOCIAL MEDIA-SHAMED THIEF RETURNS PACKAGE TO TEXAS HOMEOWNER
- DO APPLE CIDER VINEGAR DIETS HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT?