DALLAS (AP) — The guitar Jimi Hendrix played at the Monterey Pop festival in 1967 is expected to sell for $750,000 when it goes up for auction next month.
It will be offered by Dallas-based Heritage Auctions on June 17 in Beverly Hills, California. This year marks the 50th anniversary of the “Summer of Love.” The Monterey festival that summer also featured Janis Joplin, The Who and the Grateful Dead.
Heritage Auctions says the Fender Stratocaster guitar is being offered by a private collector from the United Kingdom.
Garry Shrum, Heritage Auctions’ director of music memorabilia, says the guitar is among the few that “have changed music history.”
The auction house says as Hendrix neared the end of his Monterey set, he swapped the guitar for another that he famously set on fire.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- MAN DIES IN SHOOTING AT SAN JOSE WEINERSCHNITZEL RESTAURANT
- 5 HOSPITALIZED AFTER EATING NACHO CHEESE AT SACRAMENTO GAS STATION
- BOMB SQUAD DIFFUSING SCARY SITUATION AT SAN JOSE MIDDLE SCHOOL
- PARENTS: MISSING RICHMOND TEEN COULD BE VICTIM OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- MISSISSIPPI TEENS ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO DEATH OF 6-YEAR-OLD BOY
- CONTROVERSIAL BILL WOULD END LIFETIME REGISTRATION FOR CERTAIN SEX OFFENDERS
- PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY: A CEMETERY IS NOT A CITY PARK