SAN FRANCISCO (KRON/AP) – Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has ruled Kawhi Leonard out for Game 3 of the Western Conference finals because of a sprained left ankle.
“Kawhi is out,” Popovich said. “I spoke to Kawhi, we spoke to everybody, we all speak about it,” Popovich said. “In the end, I guess it’s my decision. He’s not thrilled he’s not playing, but he’s not ready.”
Leonard initially injured the ankle against Houston in Game 5 of their second-round series on May 9 after inadvertently stepping on James Harden’s foot while in transition.
Kawhi Leonard will not play tonight, per Coach Pop
— San Antonio Spurs (@spurs) May 20, 2017
In Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals on Sunday, he re-injured his ankle in the third quarter when he came down from a jumper and landed on Warriors center Zaza Pachulia’s foot.
Leonard didn’t return, giving Golden State an opening for an 18-0 run and a 113-111 comeback victory.
With San Antonio still missing their MVP candidate, the Warriors went on to win Game 2 by a 36 point margin, 136-100, at Oracle Arena.
The series goes back to San Antonio tonight for Game 3.
Tip off is 6:00 p.m.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- MAN DIES IN SHOOTING AT SAN JOSE WEINERSCHNITZEL RESTAURANT
- 5 HOSPITALIZED AFTER EATING NACHO CHEESE AT SACRAMENTO GAS STATION
- BOMB SQUAD DIFFUSING SCARY SITUATION AT SAN JOSE MIDDLE SCHOOL
- PARENTS: MISSING RICHMOND TEEN COULD BE VICTIM OF HUMAN TRAFFICKING
- MISSISSIPPI TEENS ARRESTED IN CONNECTION TO DEATH OF 6-YEAR-OLD BOY
- CONTROVERSIAL BILL WOULD END LIFETIME REGISTRATION FOR CERTAIN SEX OFFENDERS
- PEOPLE BEHAVING BADLY: A CEMETERY IS NOT A CITY PARK